Pages

July 29, 2008

Loxton - It was great for 2008!

Loxton 2008..... What a weekend, truly relaxing, exciting and fun all rolled into one.I have unpacked finally and sort of come down off the high I have been on for the weekend. It has been the most enjoyable 3 days away, doing what I love to do sit and stitch and quilt,how relaxing and chat of course. I met some wonderful women from all over the place ( HI to Georgette, Sarah, Meagan, Danielle, Julie, Leanne) . The first day I arrived about 9.30am and Almond Grove was already a buzz with excitement....ladies with bags, fabric and sewing machines already setting up and looking forward to the next few days. there was 3 groups of tables and our group started with Rosalie Quinlan's "Sally" Doll. Rosie gave us great tips to get started and it was surprising how quick our dolls came together.....sew them, stuff them like this then make the clothes, this is how to get your dolls head through her shirt...love the face

then to paint there faces on... very very carefully....
thanks for the tips and the practical demo's Rosalie
here is Tiffany with her "Sally" doll almost half way,and she looked so groovy when she was completed (sorry no pics)
... in Tiffany's favorite colors..............


This is my "Sally" with her face painted, her shirt and pantaloons on........

Now for her hair and ribbons and her dress. I took the dress to my cabin( I stayed at the caravan park) that night to finish but did the most when I got home to Adelaide on Monday.This is my finished "Sally" doll and she is adorable, my 2 yo daughter wants to play with her now! And as my 1yo daughter wants her too I will have to make another one real quick.

On Saturday our group spent the day with Leanne Beasley.......making the "Loxton Vines Quilt" which was designed especially for this weekend.......here is Leanne speaking about it ( I know the pic is not the best but it is so hard to get Leanne standing still)it included raw edge applique and this comes together so nicely I was very amazed at how well it looks. I have only ever done raw edge on small projects but to do it on a large quilt it does look so good. I had bought some fabrics from home for a quilt for my son - he actually picked the fabric and the layout before I went and then all I had to do was choose the vine fabric, I did this with a little help from Leanne, I chose black vines and grey spots. I will post some pics when it is together.
Here is Tricia and Liz late on Saturday afternoon ( I say about 5.30pm) having a quiet one...
still all smiles ...
I will post some more in a couple of days as there are a lot of pictures to share.

Hugs to all....
Dawn x x

14 comments:

Rachel's Journal Pages said...

Great post - love the photos and your doll is amazing! Can't wait to see it for real in the morning when I pop over for coffee.
See ya.

Amanda said...

Hi Dawn wasn't it a fantastic weekend. I can't get into my sewing room from all the bags of fabric that I bought home. But have gone over the patterns a few time and nearly finished gail's stitchery ready for making the sewing things.

Christine said...

Love your Sally doll. I made one at Launceston with Rosie in February ... have four more ready to stitch together.
Looks like a fantastic weekend.

Dannielle said...

Hi Dawn, Didn't we have fun. So nice to meet you and have put you on my 'favourites' list. You doll looks great. I am all set to stitch the many, many spots on my Loxton Vines quilt today. Keep well, Dannielle

Maree said...

Hello Dawn saw your name on Leanne's blog so thought I'd pop on over & say HI!! Your Sally Doll is Gorgeous & Glad your weekend went well.
cheers
maree

Suzanne said...

Oh my gosh I am so jealous, what a wonderful time you would have had. Wow, love all the little bits you showed us.

Leanne said...

It was a great weekend...love the snap of Rosalie....I have been doing a bit of my homework.

Jo said...

Hi Dawn, Looks like you had a great time in Loxton,look forward to seeing more photos.I will be up there in a couple of weeks time catching up with friends.

Chookyblue...... said...

looks like a wonderful time away and getting to meet some bloggers and sew for 3 days.........

Anonymous said...

Had a great weekend - nice to catch up and make new friends! Your doll looks sweet, mine still needs hair - she will have to wait until the weekend though.

Georgette.

Jo Jo said...

Hi Dawn, So glad that you had an amazing time away. Thanks for sharing such wonderful pictures. I am so jealous...I need to get myself to one of these retreats soon.!!! Jo x

Lorraine said...

Great pics Dawn...and a good run down of the classes....!! it was a fun time!!!

quiltygal said...

Great work Dawn sounds as if you had a good weekend!! Love that Sally doll soo cute..

Lenora said...

Thanks for sharing your lovely weekend, and your doll is beautiful. I think you will have to make another one. Lenora XX