Pages

January 20, 2010

Girlie Placemat / Dolly Quilt Tutorial.

Here is my first tutorial....a girlie placemat or dolly quilt....
I made these for the little girls that came to
my darling daughters 4th birthday as the thankyou gift...
They turned out cheaper than the little toys
you put in kids lolly bags.....
and more of a keepsake too.

Instructions!


All seams are 1/4"
Cut 1 white 3 1/2" x 10 1/2"strip
and 6 colored 2 1/2" x 10 1/2" strips
I used jelly roll strips ( Spring Fever by Moda)


Cut 1- 11 1/2" x 17" retcangle of backing( to match strips)
Cut 1- 11" x 16 1/2" rectangle of fusible pellon/wadding.
Using a spray baste,
baste backing fabric and pellon together,
make sure backing fabric is rightside down
and fusible side of pellon/wadding is facing up...

Stitch your first strip (white) to the left hand
edge of the pellon/wadding
Press open strip.
Be careful not to iron exposed pellon.
Take your first colored strip,
place rightside on top of pressed strip and
stitch along righthand edge...
Press open...


Turn you placemat/quilt 360 degrees and stitch the next strip
along the lefthand edge.
( this helps there be no twisting of fabric)
Press open.
Continue until all strips are sewn,
making sure you turn each time.

On your last strip stitch a 1/4" from
edge to hold in place...

Trim placemat/quilt to 15 1/2" x 10 1/2"

I added the initial of each child to the white strip.
How?...
I used Word and picked a font I liked ( kristen ITC)
and enlarged it to 240.
Printed it out....
Traced it to Steam a Seam light reversed.
Picked out a fabric matching colors to my strips.
Pressed it on fabric, peeled pressed it to my placemat.
I stitched around the raw edge of the initial
two times...
then I quilted the placemat around
the initial and all over the strips.
Cut strips for the binding
out of coordinating fabrics.
4 strips 2 1/2" x 10 1/2"
1 strip 2 1/2" x 16"

Sew 2 small strips
then the larger strip then 2 more small strips together.
Press in half along length.

Bind placemat/quilt.
I hope you have liked this tutorial.
I enjoyed making these for all the little girls at the party.
They loved them.
Out of one Jelly roll you could get
approx 10 placemats/dolly quilts.

Have a wonderful week.

Hugs and Sweet Blessings.
Dawn x x x

12 comments:

creativedawn said...

Hello!
I love this little quiltie! It is a perfect little item to include in my gifts to my friend's granddaughters! What a wonderful idea. Thanks for sharing that and when I make mine, would it be okay to link to your tutorial on my blog?
have a good day
hugz
Pam

Sandra said...

Que lindo..!!
Gracias Dawn por enseƱarnos...
Besitos

Allie said...

How very sweet, Dawn! Thank you for the tute!

retdairyqueen said...

Oh what a lovely idea
Bet the little girls will treasure them

stitchinfiend said...

What a wonderful gift idea. I will have to save it for when I get grandbabies.

Jude said...

The placemat looks great and the tutorial will be very helpful, thankyou Dawn.

Jessica said...

What a great idea!
They look really cute!

Che Birba said...

Hi, I'm Laura from Italy! I have a blog and I'd wrote a post where is cited also your blog:

http://chebirba.blogspot.com/2010/01/interesting-blogs-from.html

I'd like to invite you to visite my italian blog, bye bye Laura!

KAYLEE said...

I love the quilting, it's just gorgeous, any chance of a tutorial for the quilting Dawn? Cheers Kaylee

Jo said...

What a great idea for a party thankyou gift,so sweet, thanks for the tutorial.

Khris said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I have put a link up on the freebies blog..hugs
Khris

CraftCrave said...

Thank you! This blog post will be advertised on CraftCrave in the Handcraft category today (look for timestamp: [10 Feb 01:00pm GMT]).