Pages

July 15, 2011

Byebye my dear Friend - we'll meet you over the Rainbow!

 Yesterday I said goodbye to a very special lady.
She was such a sweet sweet person.
 She loved life and all it had to offer
 She loved dancing and music especially Abba...LOL
We would chat for ages over tea (in her special cups) 
and biscuits (homemade of course)
She made everyone feel like they were just so special 
and they were all that mattered right then and there.
 Good bye my friend...
 You can shed a tear that she is gone...
...or you can smile because she lived!
You can close your eyes and pray she'll come back...
or you can open your eyes and see all she's left!
Your heart can be empty because you can't see her
or you can be full of the love you shared!
You can turn your back on tomorrow and live yesterday
or you can be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday!
You can remember her and only that she's gone
or you can cherish her memory and let it live on!
You can cry and close your mind,
be empty and turn your back
or you can do what she'd want:
Smile and open your eyes, Love and go on!
written 1981, David Harkins 1959 - Silloth, Cumbria, UK

 Trying to expalin death to little ones is hard.
After my girls saw  me crying and sad, Miss J told me not to worry
my friend was over the rainbow....
and she drew it for me to see....
Children say the most apt things at times
and I was blessed to hear such a simple explanation from a 5yo.
I took this beautiful picture to the funeral
for my Friend, as that's who Miss J drew it for...she'd have loved it..
 Miss J asked me to give it to my friend to remember
that my girls will know where to look for her...

 'Over the Rainbow'

 Goodbye my Friend
 I so loved our times together and will miss you dearly.
 P.S... Happy 84th Birthday today.
  Hugs 
Dawn x x x

28 comments:

Fiona said...

I am sending you huge hugs sweetie .

Fee x

Leah said...

Hugs... What a beautiful tribute.

Jo in TAS said...

My condolences Dawn! Your 5yo is a sweetie, her wisdom bought a smile to my face.

Khris said...

wahhhh....so sad....but as you say remember them for the time they were here...hugs Khris

retdairyqueen said...

You write such beautiful words
What a lovely tribute to your dear friend

Christine M said...

Lovely words for your dear friend. Hugs to you.

Larissa said...

What a lovely way to put into words the pain in you heart Dawn! Such a tribute to a woman who sounds like a real treasure!!
I'm be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers at this difficult time. Hugs.

Allie said...

((((((((((Dawn)))))))))) I'm so sorry, my sweet friend. My heart is aching for you. How precious of Miss J to make that picture for her....

I want to give you some words that someone shared with me. I found them very comforting.


Gone From My Sight

I am standing upon the seashore. A ship at my side spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength. I stand and watch her until at length, she hangs like a speck of white cloud just where the sea and sky come together.

Then someone at my side says, “There, she is gone!”

“Gone where?”

Gone from my sight. That is all. She is just as large in mast and hull and spar as she was when she left my side, and she is just as able to bear her load of lining freight to her destined port.

Her diminished size is in me, not in her. And just at the moment when someone at my side says, “There, she is gone!”, there are other eyes watching her coming, and other voices ready to take up the glad shout: “Here she comes!”

And that is dying.
Henry Van Dyke

Heather said...

what a wonderfull way to describe the passing of a loved one ' over the rainbow '- also loved the the verse Dawn. Miss J understands well
doesn't she- great picture
sorry for your loss of a person you loved

Stitchin' time said...

Sending hugs, Dawn.
Miss J has a beautiful outlook on where we go when we leave here permanently :).

Debbie said...

Thinking of you Dawn!
You have just had a birth now a death. Beautiful words, made me shed a tear. Thank you for sharing.xx

KaHolly said...

Dawn, I am moved to tears. What a sweet and loving tribute. Your little one - what insight at 5 y.o. Last fall I lost a young, former student, only a senior in HS. That song, Over the Rainbow, is the first thing that I thought of when I heard the news. You will be in my thoughts today. ~karen

Maree: said...

Sorry to hear of your Loss of a Good Friend Dawn...Love the Drawing from your Little Ones...
Take Comfort in Your Memories.
xx

Maria said...

Thinking of you at this sad time.You wrote a beautiful tribute to your dear friend Dawn.
Miss J is so sweet. Yes your friend is just Over the Rainbow.
Hugs
Maria XXXXXX

Quilt n Queen said...

...what a beautiful tribute to your dear sweet friend...take comfort in your cherished the memories and smile at the rainbows.....(:

GardenofDaisies (Gayle) said...

Glad you have your children there to help you get through the sadness. Sending you hugs.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dawn,
I know how it feels, I just lost my Mum 4 weeks ago.
I feel with you.
Nobody is gone as long as someone remember her...
xx Doris from Germany

Kathy MacKie said...

So sorry for your loss.

W. Latane Barton said...

I am sad that you lost your friend. Sending hugs your way.
Latane

Toyin O. said...

Nice looking video:)

wackywoman said...

Big hugs going your way Dawn.

Quilt Kitty said...

So sorry for your loss Dawn. You wrote a beautiful tribute & obviously your 5 year old is following in your thoughtful ways. The wonderful memories are never lost. Hugs, Tracee xx

Joy said...

Awww hon, I'm so sorry to hear that ... sending big hugs your way and wishing I was able to give you them in person!! 'J' did a gawjus piccy,what a sweety she is.
Love n hugs dear friend,
Joy xxxxx

Vicki ♥ said...

(((((Hugs)))))) to you my sweet friend Dawn :) It is very sad to loose such a lovely friend as you have. You and your sweet little girls will miss her lots and remember that she is over the rainbow....how special is your Miss J! Love her! Love you too darl :) Hugssss Vicki xx

Karen Mallory said...

Many huggie for you Dawn. It is sad, but as time passes we can look back and smile and laugh at the good times.
hugs Karen

Doris said...

Best wishes Dawn. It is such a sad time but you have so many good memories. I bet your daughter brought a tear to your eye with that picture, but how appropriate. Kids do see things so simply and sometimes it's good to keep it simple! Warm hugs to you. Doris..

Evelene S said...

Oh Dawn so sorry to hear about your loss! I will keep you in my prayers and I am sending you big hugs from California. Oh you are in great hands with Miss J at your side! Your tribute to your friend was beautiful.

Evelene S said...

I just found this today on a blog and I thought of you.

http://redredcompletelyred.blogspot.com/2011/07/in-rememberance.html

It sound like such a sweet idea!