Pages

September 10, 2011

Boiled Lemon Cake.

Lemons, lemons everywhere.....
 When I want some they are expensive 
when I don't I get buckets of them given to me.

 I'm not complaining though...I do love getting them for free.
 Wish my lemon tree would grow some... it is dormant I think


Not like this lovely Lemon Tree above.
 Now I made some very tasty lemon cake this last week.
 In fact I have made it a few times in the last few weeks
 It's a hit......so deliciously tasty!

Boiled Lemon Cake! 
2 medium lemons
130gms soft Butter
 1 1/2cups Sugar
2 Eggs
1 cup Wholemeal Self Raising Flour
 1/2 cup Plain White Flour
1/2cup Dessicated Coconut.

 Lemon Syrup!
 1 cup sugar
rind of one l Lemon
 3/4cup lemon juice ( 4 small lemons)
 1/3 cup of water.

Place two lemons in a pan of water
making sure they are covered.
 Bring to the boil and simmer for half an hour
 Then replace the water with cold water and bring to the boil again 
and simmer again for half an hour. 
This helps take some of the bitterness away.
Drain the pan and cool them for an hour or so.
 Preheat oven to 160 degrees C

 Next cream the Butter, Sugar and Eggs until light and fluffy.
Cut the lemons in half and take out any pips
Puree the boiled lemons to pulp, skin and all.

 Add the puree to the creamed sugar and butter mix.
Stir in gently.
 Next place the sifted flours and coconut into the mixture.
Mix together gently
 Place the mixture into two lined loaf pans in the preheated oven
 for about an hour. 

 Cakes are cooked when slightly browned and a skewer comes out clean.

 Lemon Syrup.
Place all ingredients in a pan and simmer gently for an hour.

 Pour boiled syrup over cake and let cool slightly 
before serving with cream and a strawberry.
Delicious.....


 Hope you enjoy making this.. My friends did..LOL
 Now I thought you might like to hear a Lemon-y song...HERE
 Did that bring any memories back...it did for me.
 My Mum used to sing it all the time...
Oh sweet memories.

 Happy weekend

 Hugs Dawn x x x

22 comments:

Fiona said...

Yummo !! I will have to try that one. I bought a lemon tree last weekend and will plant it today. Hopefully next year I will have lots of yummy lemons !!

wackywoman said...

I'm not loooooking..........nope

angelasweby said...

Oh yum!! That looks gorgeous Dawn. I love lemon cake and I have never seen one where you boil the lemons before :-)
One of the things I miss most about not living in Cyprus is going out and picking lemons straight from the tree and feeling the warm oily zest as you squeeze them gently...hmmm. My favourite thing was making lemonade.
Angela xx

Maria said...

Your Lemon Cake just looks delicious!!!!
One day I will do a post on my cake making. LOL

Lorraine said...

I can't look....just doing that would be sure to put on several kgs!! Sounds lovely though...!!

Allie said...

That looks way too delicious!!!

Seams Sew Together said...

Looks very yummy, may have to try this

Khris said...

This sounds good Dawn...thanks for sharing..I usually don't go for lemony things but this sounds good. When you say puree the lemon do you mean the pulp only...not the skin?
Hugs Khris

Melody said...

This looks really delicious. Thanks for sharing.

retdairyqueen said...

YUM

teresa said...

Thanks for the recipe.. the cakes looks so delicious mmmmmmm

Vicki ♥ said...

Thanks for that Dawn...it looks really yummy and now its another cake I have to make! LOL....another one I have to eat! hehehe but I love cakes :) Hugs Vicki x

Janice said...

Yum! That looks scrummy. I'll have to get some lemons and give it a whirl.

W. Latane Barton said...

That cake looks so good. I've never heard of boiled lemon cake but I think I will try it. Thanks.

Chris H said...

I have never heard of a boiled lemon cake before!
I love making lemon meringue (sp?) pie with lemons!

Shannon said...

Oh wow, I need to try this. It sounds HEAVENLY!!

Linda said...

I need to try yhat...it sounds wonderful!!

Sue said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe Dawn, looks yummy! Yes, that song brings back memories to me too. Hugs, Sue xx

Liz said...

Am going to get to this recipe in the next few days. Had an orange one very similar,Have lemons galore. Oh lemon tree very pretty .. lol

Ann said...

Yummo that look delicious - I will be making this one on the weekend for sure. Thanks for sharing xo

Jude said...

Thanks for the recipe and I will Have to make it soon. Thanks for the slice of cake/cream and a coffee on Tuesday it was really yummy, next time make 3 cakes and i can take one home with me, isnt that a great idea. Cheers Jude

Margaret said...

Hello Dawn I was looking fpr a boiled Lemon Cake and your blog came up when I googled , so now I am off to make it from the first lemons on a new tree.
Today June 14 2012