Pages

June 21, 2012

a little time to use some dye...

 As time is disappearing with the busyness of life...
I have managed to experiment with some thread dying.
 I found the Tutorial HERE
 So I armed myself with lots of skeins of white DMC thread
 un-did a few and wound them onto the frame I had made.

 laid them on some plastic wrap
 tied rubber bands around in two places
 added some yellow to one end, some magenta red to the other 
and then mixed some yellow and red together in the middle.
 (excuse the bits of dried dye...the color was old and had residue left)
then wrapped them in plastic wrap to cure.

 rinsed and rinsed
 making sure it went clear...
then dried it and rinsed again until no dye ran from it...
then dried again...thoroughly dry...
 
wound it on a couple of pegs plus one for a friend, ready for stitching...
 I love the variegated colors from lemon the light pink...
just gorgeous, the end result was exactly what I wanted...
Now I can use it to stitch my new pattern, coming soon!!!!!

But while it rains outside the next couple of days
 here in Adelaide
 I am ready to stitch the binding on my
 girls quilts, they are almost finished..woo hoo
 and the squeals of excitement about our house are sweet to hear.

 Happy Stitching,
 Hugs Dawn x x
 

16 comments:

Jenny of Elefantz said...

Dawn, that is so clever, and I love the finished colours!
Hugs
Jenny
xxx

Anthea said...

Dawn, you are so clever! Love the colours you've produced there. It looks like quite a process, but how amazing to create your very own colours

Anthea said...

Dawn, you are very clever! I love the colours you've created...

Sheila said...

What a clever idea and the results are stunning . I love the binding you are using for your daughters quilts.

Carolyn Sullivan said...

very clever! I love the colors. I was surprised that they came out som much lighter.

Larissa said...

Looks great Dawn!!! You clever girl!! Those quilts are going to look GORGEOUS!!! That's a couple of very lucky girls you have there!!! Hugs!!

B J Elder said...

Love the end result! Now I'm off to check out that tutorial. Looks really fun.

Terry said...

I've never tried this but it looks like fun! I love the colors you ended up with! :0)

Marilyn said...

Beautiful variegated colour. Look forward to seeing some stitching using the threads.

Deb R - frog cottage said...

Ohhh what a great tutorial!!! Will definately have to try this...thank you :)

Chris H said...

Clever girl! Very pretty threads ya have there.

Joy said...

Dawnie that looks fabulous!!! I was a bit worried cos the colours looked so bright, but your finished shades are simply delish!!! You're such a clever chooky :o). Now I'm itching to make some of those myself!!!
Love n hugs,
Joy :o)

jules said...

Your thread has turned out absolutely amazing. Can't wait to see the finished stitching.

Wendy B said...

OOoh, NOW I see what you were talking about!!!!.......love, love, LOVE those colours you little clever chicky you!
can't wait to see the finished stitcheries!!!
xoxoxo love and big sugary hugs
Wendy :O)

KAYLEE said...

WOW the end result looks great Dawn. I am definately going to give this a go, what dye did you use ? I'm wondering if food colouring would do the job or do you need a special dye ?

shopannies said...

love it so very pretty