Pages

October 17, 2012

Week Five - Quilt along

 Don't the weeks go by so quickly... one day it feels like Saturday 
and the weekend is upon me, ( I love weekends with my family)
next time I think about it and it's Wednesday 
and tutorial time again.

  This week I am sharing another fabulous Block for the Kids Quilt along.
The Wonky Star block. In my original quilt I used a pattern from
 Modern Blocks book by Susanne Woods HERE
 Three stars within the same block.
 But this time I am doing a large wonky star.

 You will need:
 Eight 4 1/2in squares from background fabric
 One 4 1/2in square from patterned fabric
(I used a charm square and cut it down)
Eight assorted coordinating fabrics to match your quilt
 Four different colors I chose.
 (I used a 5in square diagonally cut and 3in or 2 1/2in square
out of each color)


Set aside four 4 1/2in background squares for later.
 With one background square choose two fabrics that go together
 I chose two browns, two pinks, two aqua green and two lemon fabric.


 From these cut a 2 1/2in or 3in square. ( not being to fussy)
 place on the bottom left corner with right sides facing 
and draw a line diagonally. Sew along this line.


Trim edge off.


Turn back and press seam open.


 Now with another matching fabric from your stash cut a half square triangle.
 I used a half square triangle, cut from a diagonally cut 5in charm square.

  
With right sides facing place the triangle onto the right hand corner.
 don't be too fussy where it sits, this is a wonky star...

Sew a 1/4in seam from the edge of the triangle.



Open seam and press well.
 Trim the square to 4 1/2in. 
Repeat with the remaining three 4 1/2in squares, 
making each point on a little different.


All pressed and trimmed ready for assembly.
 Note each one is slightly different.


Arrange your four star squares with the four background squares
you put aside and the middle square like above.


 Sew them together using picture above as a guide.

 Press all seams and your wonky star is done.
 They look fabulous...I love wonky stars.
 Next week we will be doing another block, the Dresden plate.
Then on to the applique the week after that.
 So looking forward to the applique blocks.
 I apologise for the quality of the photo's, I am still without a camera
 and I'm still using my phone... very soon I hope to own a new camera.


 Happy sewing
 Hugs Dawn x x


2 comments:

Terry said...

I think one of my next scrappy projects will be wonky stars! I've always wanted to make some! :0)

Laline Zacarkim said...

lindo..