Pages

February 18, 2014

I Love Love Love eating warm Rock Cakes!

 Warm, straight out of the oven Rock Cakes are just so delicious.
I have been exploring older recipes of late.


 The kinda recipes my Granny used to make my mum
 and my mum made me...
 Thought I would make the girls some...


They sure love helping bake but I think it's the
 licking of the beaters that gets them in...umm umm..
 I used to love that part too when I helped my mum.


 Warm straight out of the oven.... so yummy soft... 
not the usual rock hard.. ha ha... hence the name


 I usually time them for afternoon tea, occasionally for breakfast
 adding a few spices like cinnamon and cherries 
when having them on a Sunday morning.


Hope you enjoy then like I do...

 Rock Cakes (yeilds 20)

To a large bowl add 180gm sugar add to it
 480 gm Self Raising Flour and 120gm Butter,
rub together to resemble fine breadcrumbs.
 Make a well in the centre
 and add 2 eggs, a pinch of cinnamon, 1tsp Vanilla essence
160ml milk and 120gms sultanas
(any fruit will do, like currants cherries etc).
 The mixture will be sticky.
 Place heaped tablespoonfuls on a lined baking tray and
 bake in oven on 180C for 15-20mins...
 I usually watch them after 12mins to make
 sure they look golden  and not too dark.
 Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve warm...

 ENJOY!

 Sweet Cinnamon Hugs 
 Dawn x x


 

6 comments:

Noela said...

Haven't had rock cakes for years. Will have to give your recipe a go as they look yummy. Hugs....

Liz said...

Love rock cakes. Thanks for this recipe. Will need to tweek it a bit for gluten free and sugar free,easy.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

First time I ever heard of rock cakes--learn something new every day

angelasweby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
angelasweby said...

They look delicious, Dawn and I bet they didn't last long. I am definitely going to give that recipe a go. Even my son is baking! He made biscuits last week. The best were the heart shaped ones he made for his girlfriend - how romantic is that :-)

Pamela Davis said...

Oh my goodness...they do look delicious...

hugzzz
Pam